Hello, it’s me! If you’re wondering, yes, I’ve been busy but you don’t have to worry as I’m pulling myself together to catch up on updating the blog and website. Please bear with me?
Celebrities and personalities alike gathered once again for the fashion industry’s most prestigious event held on May 2, 2016, the Met Gala. This year’s theme was “Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology”. As usual, the red carpet served as a visual feast of the guests’ interpretations of the theme. I was able to spot my favourites immediately so let me give you a run down of my top 5.
- Emma Watson in Calvin Klein Collection – Okay, I was totally blown away by this one! I’d like to call this look, avant-glam. It had that sophisticated edge that Emma was able to pull off nonchalantly. What’s extra special about this outfit is how it was made. The yarns used to weave the fabric were actually made from recycled plastic bottles. The inner bustier was made from organic cotton and the zippers were recycled too. How awesome, right? Props to her stylist (Sarah Slutsky) too! Photos from nytimes.com and tomandlorenzo.com.
- Ciara in H&M – Now please do not contest with me as I’m pretty biased! Haha! I’ve been in love with this woman since college because her music always perks me up plus c’mon, have you seen her dance? Anyway, I praise girls who experiment with their looks and Ciara has always loved playing around with various styles. This look reminds me of the 2013 film adaptation of The Great Gatsby, since it showed a modern take on twenties fashion. Ciara also flaunted her beautifully toned arms (so jealous!) in this Swarovski-laden dress. Photos from usmagazine.com and bellanaija.com.
- Jaden Smith in Chanel – I would totally wear this look!!! People who know me will surely agree. My style is generally androgynous so I’m always drawn to menswear and loose silhouettes. This look had cool written all over it. C’mon, it’s CHANEL! I also liked how he accessorized with multiple rings and pointed boots. Karl must have been really proud. Photos from dailymail.co.uk and gq.com.
- Dakota Johnson in Gucci – Seeing this look made me say, “awww”. Dakota looks adorable! She proves that sweet can be sexy with the gown’s mix of lace and star prints. I loved how she paired this look with simple hair and makeup. She surely made her charm and dress do most of the talking. Kudos to her stylist, Kate Young, whose work I also admire. Photos from dailymail.co.uk and instyle.co.uk.
- Emma Stone in Prada – Two Emmas in one list, why not? I have always found Emma Stone to be stylish and she also likes experimenting with her looks (thanks to her stylist, Petra Flannery). Emma spruced up this sexy white gown with a gunmetal corset as if to dethrone Daenerys Targaryen. She was ready for battle on the red carpet! She also looks gorgeous with her brunette locks and smoky eyes. Photos from usmagazine.com and eonline.com.
There you have it, this caps off my top 5 looks from this year’s Met Gala. Here’s to more fashionable events we could feast our eyes on! Haha! Stay tuned for my next post!